Vietnam - Hoi An - Tailors

Hoi An is renowned for its tailoring and custom made clothes. Tailor shops full of vogue patterns and magazines line almost every road, all wanting to make your suits and dresses. I think I managed to control myself reasonably well and only had several (more than 5 less than 10) dresses made...and a pair of silk shoes.

The fanciest tailor shop in town is called A Dong Silk. They have the best quality and selection of fabrics and receive amazing reviews from almost every customer. I had 2 Thai silk dresses made there which turned out beautifully! Through this whole process I have learned that part of the success in tailoring comes from multiple fittings. A Dong silk had me return for 3 fittings, the shoe shop had 2 fittings and Emma (the tailor who did all my other dresses) had me come back for 3.

The dresses from A Dong Silk were a bit more expensive but my custom shoes were $30 and custom dresses from Emma's were $20. A bargain if you remember these dresses are made exactly for your body by some of the best tailors in the world!


My day ended up looking something like this:
9am - A Dong Silk
10am- Shoe shop
11am- Emma's (Nana)
1pm- A Dong Silk
2pm- Shoe shop
3pm- Emma's (Nana)
4pm- A Dong Silk
5pm - Emma's (Nana)

Emma and I at the end of my 3rd fitting. I was so happy with all of my dresses and Emma was so happy that I was so happy that she awarded me an impromptu (Vietnamese style) Cha Cha Cha dance.

1 Response to "Vietnam - Hoi An - Tailors"