Japan - Lake Nojiriko


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Found this old scrapbook page with a few pics of my family at the lake in the early 80's.

And here is the lakefront in 2013. It hasnt changed a bit!

The tree we all used to climb in and jump into the water from. 


My parents on their way to the nurses cabin where my mom volunteered for many summers. 


We snuck/broke into the old library where my older brother Josh and I would spend hours. It smelled exactly the same as I remembered it. These are such silly little things but being able to smell the library books again was an amazing experience for me. 


So much around the lake has not changed but sadly one major icon has seen better days. The Swan boat which was known primarily as the "duck" boat retired from sailing around the lake about 10 years ago.  It now sits in a lonely old boat junk yard along the lake. 



The swan paddle boats are still around.  I'm still a little bitter that I couldn't convince anyone to take one out with me but they let me sit in one for a few minutes which was nice.

From a distance the duck boat still looks very regal sitting under Mt. Kurohime. 

Lake Nojiri Cabins all along the hillside.  Our cabin was somewhere in the far left of the picture. 



Lake Nojiri is at the top center of the map. 
Snow monkeys - Yudanaka northeast corner of map
Paragliding - Aoki southwest corner of map
Nagano - center
Basket Village - southwest of Nojiri

1 Response to "Japan - Lake Nojiriko"

  • Unknown Says:

    I spent many summers of my childhood in the 50s and 60s on Lake Nojiri. I think our cabin was 185. We swam the mile to the island and the village (3 miles) for our badges. I spend hours at the boathouse with my brothers and twin. swimming, playing ping pong and running up and down the steps cut into the hillside, to our cabin. The best were the hymn sings on Sunday evening when we would take our boats out to the middle of the lake, tie up and sing our hearts out to the quiet of the evening. Heaven!