Japan - Tokyo Maid Cafe

Kingsley and I happened to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary in Tokyo and we had to do something memorable to celebrate. That is how we ended up at the Maid Cafe.   


We have just been seated at the Maid Cafe and have NO idea what to expect.  

The waitress who spoke zero english started by addressing us as "my princess" and "my master" which struck me as a little odd but initially I just thought perhaps my Japanese was bit rusty.  Being the only one of us who could communicate I took advantage of the opportunity and generously ordered Kingsley the "happy happy love bear" ice cream float.  For myself I ordered the most secretive thing on the menu the "special customized" drink which our maid would prepare at the table for "her princess". I really should have known better...


Kingsley's drink arrived and I knew I was in big trouble after he was forced to perform "happy happy love bear" hand motions which included giving himself ears like a bear and moulding his hands into a heart shaped "love" shaker and pouring imaginary "extra love" into his drink.

When my drink arrived the lights in the entire restaurant were dimmed and I was called up onto the trampoline stage, handed a microphone and required to perform a "happy happy love" dance with a spotlight on me and a disco ball spinning.  Lets just say it is unbelievable what I had go through in order to get my stupid drink.  I was expecting something amazing when I finally took my first sip...it was grapefruit juice (not even freshly squeezed).  I am still traumatized by the entire experience.

I have not, nor will I ever, share any photos of this incredibly embarrassing moment in my life. But one thing is for sure - our 6th wedding anniversary will never be forgotten!


After the Maid Cafe we got lost on our way back to the hotel, which evolved into a 20 minute detour/heated discussion about the exact location of our hotel while wandering up and down the streets of Shinjuku.


We ended the day with a fabulous Japanese dinner with longtime family friends the Boardman's.


3 Response to "Japan - Tokyo Maid Cafe"