Bali Surfing

One of the days the wind was too strong to fly so we headed to the beach. Suhas and I really wanted to surf, Kingsley thought we were crazy. Neither of us had any idea what we were doing but enjoyed watching the surfers, and it looked easy! We found a guy willing to give us a lesson and headed into the surf. I remember thinking "these waves look too small" to myself as we walked into the water...I had ALOT to learn.

Lesson number 1: make sure the board is pointed into the wave not sideways. That way when the wave crashes the board isn't slammed into you. It took me a few good bashes before I got that one down. Over a week later I still have bruises on my arms and knees from the board.

Lesson number 2: when you fall off the board, fall as far from the board as possible to avoid having the board land on top of you. After re-learning lesson number one a few times I made sure I flung myself as far from the board as I could anytime I was falling off. Suhas was not so lucky and ended up with a knot on his head.

Lesson number 3: once you catch the wave transition from your stomach to your feet without placing your knees on the board. Both Suhas and I struggled with this one...initially from fear and later out of pure exhaustion.

Lesson number 4: remain calm and relaxed. Not gonna happen, the waves were huge!!

After what seemed like forever our instruction was over. I am happy to report that I did stand up on the board. And both of us walked out of the water with a smile on our face. Success.

2 Response to "Bali Surfing"

  • Donna Says:

    You guys really are having some great travel adventures. Since my chances of visiting these parts of the world are probably nil, it is so fun living the adventures through your eyes!!


  • Sally Says:

    Well done on persevering Lynn - you are great at trying new things and you have the bruises to prove it!