Nepal - Immunization Clinic

I was fortunate to be able to do some medical volunteer work while in Nepal. A Nepali friend of ours was able to set up an opportunity for me to work in one of the small government hospitals in Pokhara. This hospital serves the people from the surrounding villages.

I was involved with the BCG immunization for newborns. This is the immunization against Tb- which is actually no longer given in the US. The women showing up for the clinic brought their infants often only hours after giving birth.


It was really amazing to be able to do some medical volunteer work again but a little bit of a shock to the system as well. They have very different medical standards which took some getting used to.
Many of the mothers looked very old, in fact at one point I had to ask if it was the mother or grandmother with the baby (it was the mother). Its amazing what years of working outside in the sun will do...

I came across this board while touring the hospital. The price is in Rp. the charge for a general normal delivery is 300 RP which is $4.13 USD. Crazy!!



Having red Tikka placed on my forehead to bless me and bring me good luck

2 Response to "Nepal - Immunization Clinic"

  • Chris Says:

    Lynn, Words cannot express what I'm truly feeling! Just amazing! I know the work you did at the clinic helped so many people. I am enjoying all your posts and go into complete withdrawal when you and Kingsley are off on your wonderful adventures! Better than reading a book about these incredible lands because your pictures and videos are so expressive and personal. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us!