Frog legs and Durian fruit

Tonight I grew one step closer to becoming "semi-Singaporean". I was invited to dinner by my new Singaporean friend Jazz. On our way to dinner Jazz was asking me what kind of food I had tried so far and I was quite proud to tell her of my adventures in the Singaporean hawker centers (outdoor food stalls). I am afraid this might have given her the impression that I was ready for a whole new level of food experiences. The restaurant she choose for us was called Frog Palace (no joke). "They have the freshest frog legs, it tastes just like chicken" was the assurance I was given as she prodded me toward a table and started ordering our meal in Chinese.

The first dish arrived before I even had a chance to explain to her that maybe I had given the wrong impression about my adventurous nature. It was stir fried frog legs with ginger and green onion.
So, I ate it... I ate frog legs. I cant say I would ever do it again, but it did kinda taste like chicken.

Thankfully I saw this on the way out not the way in. This is the aquarium that the frogs are kept in so they are "very fresh". I still cant believe I actually ate a frog!

Next stop was to a fruit stand the sells the very stinky durian fruit. Why not, I thought, I already ate frog legs tonight. Might as well top it off with a little durian fruit. The fruit stall owner was very nice and gave me a small bit of durian to try.


You can smell this fruit from down the road. It smells like dirty gym socks and I have to say it tastes about the same. The only nice part is at the very end there is a sweet(ish) aftertaste. However, this is also something I hope to never try again!

I could barely eat this small amount. There was a table of two guys next to us who ordered 8 whole durians to be cut up and served. And they ate all 8 durians before I had finished my small section.
Tonight was an eye opening experience, I now realize there is a limit to how "authentic" I can handle. Nothing too spicy, too smelly and nothing at a place called frog palace!

2 Response to "Frog legs and Durian fruit"