Bali- Umalas Stables

Horses have always been a fascination of mine. One of my favorite memories with my mom is a trip we took together to the Grapevine Canyon Ranch for a week rounding up cattle. Since then I always try to keep my eyes open for unique riding experiences and definitely found that in Bali.

Umalas is a stable run by a German woman named Sabine who has lived in Bali for over 20 years. She absolutely loves her horses...infact so much so that there is a non-negotiable weight restriction for riding of 85kg which Kingsley was just over. I emailed Sabine to see if there was some leeway with the restriction but she was firm that 85kg was the cut off. Thus my riding adventure was a solo event however, something tells me Kingsley didn't mind too much as he was paragliding.


It was just me and a guide riding for 3 hours on the beach. After watching me briefly to make sure I knew what I was doing on a horse my guide gave me the freedom to canter or walk or swim with my horse Manny. Words can't really describe how amazing it is to canter down a beautiful deserted beach on a gorgeous horse. Only downside of the experience was how sore my rear end was the next day!



2 Response to "Bali- Umalas Stables"

  • Donna Says:

    Glen and I rode horses down the beautiful wild coast beaches in SA (the old Transkei... so undiscovered), just the two of us with a guide - I agree... a beautiful experience. I bet Kingsley's glad you didn't put him on a strict diet as a solution ;-)


  • Miranda Says:

    I think this means you're ready for a trip to MT!!! There are SO many different horse adventures you can do around here. Seriously.