Carmen in Singapore...round 2

Carmen arrived late friday night for her second visit to Singapore in the last 2 months. I am so fortunate to have a friend who is willing to fly 22 hours to spend a long weekend with me. I was incredibly excited to pick her up at the airport! Saturday morning we started our adventure fabulous weekend bright and early. Our mission was to conquer Sentosa, a man-made island right off the southern coast of Singapore which is a strange blend of Miami beach, Disneyland, Vegas and the Amazon rainforest all rolled into one. Our goal was to do as many bizarre and unusual activities as we could fit into one day. Our first stop was the Luge. When doing the Luge you travel to the top of this hill via a chairlift and then proceed down a 650 meter winding racetrack where you reach speeds of up to 40km/hr. Carmen and I are pretty competitive so when she challenged me to a race we both pulled out all the stops to get to the bottom first. I was leading the pack for the majority of the track but got caught behind some crazy lady who had her brake on the whole time and was weaving back and forth along the track. Carmen somehow managed to inch past her in the final stretch and beat me across the finish line. I'm still a little bitter...
on our way up in the chair lift


only in Asia, umbrellas on a ski lift in 95 degree weather with no rain in sight

Our next stop was the mega zip which is the longest zip line in Asia. We had the Singaporean boy scouts in line in front of us so we were given detailed explanations of all the potential hazards of the zip by the scouts before we harnessed up.

We then took a short break for lunch and observed the segway "off road adventure" tour which was one of the activities we decided to pass on and I'm glad we did. The off road section of the trail involved taking the segways off the freshly paved sidewalk and onto the beach. A few priceless moments were captured on video.

Our energy renewed, we tackled the trapeze where we harnessed in and were taught how to do knee hangs and somersaults 10 meters off the ground. I would humbly say that in this activity I really stood out. Carmen might have had slightly more natural ability, but I had more flair. I even ended my routine with an impromptu somersault off the safety net.
Our last, and most exciting stop of the day was the riding "the barrel" at the wave house. Just to give some history, this activity requires 6 pages of consent forms and is only recommended for "advanced surfers". Somehow Carmen talked me into believing I was qualified for this activity and....WOW... was I ever NOT prepared. In fact, I am writing this a day and a half later and I still cant turn my head or shoulders without pain! Carm was a natural with her background in wake-boarding and snowboarding...however, my wipeouts were better. Carmen also had a secret weapon, she sings to herself while she boards (notice the head bobbing in the video) which puts her in "the groove" and calms her down. I wish I had known that trick before we started. An hour later, I felt like the coolest drowned rat ever...dude! I think Carmen had the time of her life and had the barrel rider not been closing due to a world cup game, I think she may have stayed all night.





1 Response to "Carmen in Singapore...round 2"

  • Lesley Wood Says:

    What a special friend Carmen is! But I am exhausted just reading about your escapades. Don't know if you are brave or a little crazy!! No pain, no gain I guess! I hope you have both recovered from your respective injuries!!