Why doesn't Singapore cane taxi thieves?

It's no secret that Singapore has a lot of rules. Some are written, for example there are signs everywhere telling you not to take durian in taxis or on public transportation (oops)


...and there are other rules that are just understood. Like when you see a line for a taxi you do NOT walk halfway up the street to catch the next taxi before it reaches the official taxi line.
I have witnessed this horror a few times but today was the worst. I had just finished grocery shopping and knew that I had too much stuff to carry home from the store. So I awkwardly carried my brimming bags to the taxi line which was pretty long because I had managed to time my shopping completion with the dreaded change of shift for taxi drivers in Singapore. During this 30-45 minute window of time, taxis are no where to be found. This turns a typically orderly city into the wild west. However, as crazy as things get the aforementioned unspoken rule is not to be broken. After 30 minutes of waiting in miserable heat watching my groceries melt I finally made it to the front of the line.

At this point these two women walked up to the front of the line and stood casually right next to me as if they were waiting for the next taxi as well. Wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt I quickly asked if they were by any chance waiting for a taxi as well, when they said yes I very nicely directed them to the back of the taxi line. At that point things turned hostile and I suddenly realized I was dealing with taxi thieves. They gave me an evil look and then proceeded to walk about half a block up the road and flagged down MY TAXI and, before I could gather up my withered groceries and chase them down, they were gone...with my taxi. The level of anger and self-pity I felt at that moment was intense and if I hadn't had the rest of the taxi line staring at me I probably would have sat down and cried. I finally made it home apx 10 minutes later than I would have been home if my taxi had not been stolen. Worst of all I am seriously contemplating purchasing my own cane, I just need one small enough to fit in my purse....

4 Response to "Why doesn't Singapore cane taxi thieves?"