We're not in Seattle anymore

Before moving to Singapore I was quite proud of the fact that I didnt own an umbrella. It's kind of a badge of honor to be umbrellaless in Seattle, which is known for its constant rain. Things are very different now, when it rains in Singapore it POURS and without a car around to save me I finally had to re-evaluate my stance on umbrellas.

Two weeks ago, Orchard road was flooded in just a few short hours by heavy rainfall.
Last week we had another torrential rain, which I was able to capture from our living room window.



This rain lasted for about 2 hours yet managed to flood the pool

I had to walk in the rain (with new umbrella) through this mini-lake to get to the train

Lesson learned: umbrellas are a necessary item to carry with you at all times. The weather is unpredictable, sunny one moment and stormy the next. Important to note- make sure your umbrella is not the tallest thing around as Singapore is struck by lightning every other day and more people die from lightning strikes than in traffic accidents.


3 Response to "We're not in Seattle anymore"

  • Donna Says:

    What is your stance on rain boots? Not sure if you needed them in Seattle or not... I admit I got some while in Canada. But looks like they're a MUST HAVE in Singapore!


  • Anonymous Says:

    Waders yup fishing waders they come up to your waist. Boots are on sale in Seattle now!!


  • Lesley Wood Says:

    And I thought the South African Highveld storms were severe!!!

    When we move to Seattle I am taking an umbrella - even if it is not "in"!!!!!