Chiang Mai - Temples

What is a trip to Chiang Mai without visiting lots of temples. 


Wat Phra Singh is located in the western part of the old city centre of Chiang Mai, which is contained within the city walls and moat. The temple houses an important Buddha statue: the Phra Buddha Sihing (seen above) which gives the temple its name. Construction on Wat Phra Singh began in 1345 when King Phayu, the fifth king of the Mangrai dynasty, had a chedi built to house the ashes of his father King Kham Fu.

Real Monk

This monk did not move - didnt even blink - the entire time I was watching him, which I have to admit was quite a while.  I just couldn't quite figure out if he was real or not.  I have to confess that Lesley and I struggled a bit with the real vs not real monk categorizing. We certainly had an encounter or two where we saw, and photographed what we thought were real monks but eventually realized they were only statues.  But I'm fairly sure the guy in the photo above was real...mostly sure.

Not Real Monks.


Kingsley and I, being the seasoned Asian temple explorers, knew to wear flip flops on the days we went to temples to avoid scenarios as seen above!


Wat Chedi temple was built 600 years ago. 

1 Response to "Chiang Mai - Temples"