Seattle - Math Hatter baby shower

For years Carmen and I have joked about who would get pregnant first.  Carmen always said it would be me and even famously stated that she would get pregnant when "hell froze over" but I knew better.  When Kingsley and I first got married we made a little wager.  If Carmen got pregnant before me I could get a new car "whatever you want".  From there it was just a waiting game which lucky for me I am very good at doing! Carmen is now pregnant and I now get a new car...when we move back to Seattle (evidently that was in the fine print).

Its been fun to watch Carmen go through all the different stages of pregnancy.  Sadly I haven't been there to experience the day to day highs and lows but wanted to make sure she felt very special at the Math Hatter themed baby shower we threw for her.

Very little in life excites Carmen as much as experimenting with crazy colors in her make-up.  I was fortunate enough to get Shelley (Mac make-up freelancer)  to come to do her make-up the morning of the shower and WOW she did an amazing job.  Teal has got to be one of Carmens favorite colors so having "peacock eyes" made her absolutely giddy!







Carmen always looks beautiful but she was absolutely glowing the day of the baby shower.



Danielle came up with the brilliant idea to write math equations on the hanging lanterns at the party!



Karla Cowan very graciously offered her home as the location of the baby shower. Its hard to throw a baby shower for someone when you live halfway around the world but with the generosity of friends like Karla and Danielle everything came together perfectly.


Another one of Danielles genius ideas was to have the guests make fascinators when they arrived at the party.  We had a craft table stocked with flowers, feathers and other fluffy things and a hot glue gun ready and waiting.  The results were incredible!



I asked all the guests to bring a funky baby hat to the party to add to Carmen's dream collection of crazy hats for Zeke.  I think its pretty safe to say Zeke will be the best dressed quirkily hatted baby around!  I had the I Heart Math hat specially made for the occasion.

Mid-way through the party Carmen was called on the judge the best fascinator at the party and my mom (below center) was chosen as the WINNER!

We also played some great games.  The Price is Right (Carmen's favorite game show) was played using typical baby items at the grocery store.  Diapers, bottles, pacifiers...ect.   I had NO IDEA how expensive that stuff really is! We also played  a great game where we had to pass our tea saucers to the person on our left any time someone said the word "baby".  Yes blatant sabotage was part of the game, Shari was the best at setting people up to say the "B" word.  I think she got Carmen to say "baby" at least three of four times. One of the saucers had a Zeke written on the bottom of it so at the end of the tea party everyone looked under their saucers and Mama Goetsch was the winner again!!


Another very special moment during the shower was when Carmen opened this gift from our long time friend Holly Campbell who was unable to attend the shower as she is currently in the midst of a bone marrow transplant.  She has had a pretty rocky year but that has not impacted her joyful spirit or her selfless generosity.  The quilt she made for Zeke will forever be cherished.


2 Response to "Seattle - Math Hatter baby shower"